April is a sign that maybe winter if finally behind us for a while! This month also marks our one year of doing the Pilot Spotlight. We have had the honor to get to know 12 of our brothers and sisters a little closer. Thank you all for contributing!
Our pilot in the light this month is DRGNFLY one of our Black Widows.
1. Whats your name and why did you pick your callsign?
My name is Jamie McManus. My call sign is Drgnfly. I came up with it because I love dragons, lol. And then it evolved into Drgnfly.
2. How long have you been a part of the JRS, and what is it that sparked your interest in joining?
I joined the JRS back in August of 2012. I was very interested in the TIE Pilot costume. After signing up and meeting a lot of great people who have been very helpful with getting my TIE Pilot costume together I’ve been hooked!
3. Of all of the troops that you have done, what would you say is the one that stands out in your mind in meaning the most to you and why?
It’s hard to pick between all of the troops that I have been too! But one troop does come to mind and that was “Step up for Down Syndrome”. I got to meet a lot of great kids and play games with them too!
4. How has being a part of the 501st/JRS impacted your life?
Being apart of the 501st/JRS has made a huge impact in my life. I have been able to meet a lot of other troopers that are now great friends! Plus I have been able to meet people from all over the world that have the same interest as I do with Star Wars, putting smiles on childrens faces and raising money for great causes!
5. Outside of trooping and 501st/JRS related stuff, what do you do for a living, and what are some other interests or hobbies that you have?
I work for Mercury Marine, in the warehouse. I think of it as real life Minecraft with all of the boxes that I move and stack, lol! Outside of work, I have a lot of interests that keeps me busy! Other than anything related to Star Wars of course, I love video games! I play a lot of World of Warcraft (For the Horde!). I love animals and taking care of my pets. I have a dog, sulcata tortoise, 2 bearded dragons and a kenyan sand boa. I also have my Facebook page, called Drgnfly 5931, that I post all of the troops that I go to plus other things that are geeky!
6. Can you give us an idea as to the kind of support you get from friends and family regarding the 501st and all the great things that you have done for the JRS?
My husband is a huge support! He is also a TIE Pilot and joined the same time that I did. He helped me a lot with building my costume and we get to go to troops together!
7. And lastly, is there anything, Star Wars related or not, that people might not know about you that they might be surprised to find out?
Not a lot of people know that I can whistle through my nose! I can whistle different songs too, lol!