Our Pilot in the spotlight this month is Melissa 9485. Thank you Melissa for sharing a little about yourself.
December is a time of giving! Everyone celebrates the holidays in their own way. I want to thank everyone who took the time so far to answer my questions and help make the pilot spot light a success. For this I am in you debt. I am proud to be your XO and wish everyone a safe and happy holiday. No quarter given! -Firebat
1. Whats your name and why did you pick your callsign?
My name is Melissa Heimerl. I didn’t really know what to put as my callsign and since I have never really had a nickname because when I was younger I wouldn’t answer to Missy or Mel because that isn’t what my parents named me, I just used Melissa9485, my name and birthday.
2. How long have you been a part of the JRS, and what is it that sparked your interest in joining?
I have been a part of the JRS since March 2013. When I decided I wanted to join the 501st I wasn’t really sure what costume I wanted to do. I looked at everything and being a TIE pilot caught my eye. I get the fun of some armor, but I can still move around in my flight suit.
3. Of all of the troops that you have done, what would you say is the one that stands out in your mind in meaning the most to you and why?
I think that each of the troops I have attended have a lot of meaning and stand out for one reason or another, but my first official troop in my full costume will always be memorable for me. I think it stands out the most because it was a really fun troop and there were a lot of people. It made a lot of people happy and the kids really loved that we were there. A huge highlight was that there was a DJ and we got to do a lot of dancing with the kids, we even did a Harlem Shake video with all of the kids! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDmvgek9g8g
4. How has being a part of the 501st/JRS impacted your life?
I think that being a part of the 501st/JRS has impacted my life in a very positive way. I get to make a difference in people’s lives, helping raise money or just helping someone that is going through a rough time smile and forget their trouble even if it is for just a moment. I have also met a lot of great people and have formed very close relationships with fellow members and look forward to getting to know many more.
5. Outside of trooping and 501st/JRS related stuff, what do you do for a living, and what are some other interests or hobbies that you have?
Outside of trooping I am a Department Manager at Wal-Mart. I am currently going to school for my BA in Accounting. I enjoy reading, watching movies, spending time with my friends and family, and cuddle time with my dog Libby.
6. Can you give us an idea as to the kind of support you get from friends and family regarding the 501st and all the great things that you have done for the JRS?
I think that my friends and family are very supportive. I have a lot of friends and family that ask when we are going to be at events so they can come to them. I also have people who want to come to events as support and help us by taking pictures or helping any other way that they can.
7. And lastly, is there anything, Star Wars related or not, that people might not know about you that they might be surprised to find out?
I am pretty open, so all a person has to do is ask.