Our June Pilot Spotlight features Deadpool! Thanks Mike for taking the time to answer the questions and let us get to know you a little!
1. Whats your name and why did you pick your callsign?
Mike Hamilton. Deadpool as given to me by a friend that is heavy into comics, said I reminded him of the character because of my wisecracking all the time.
2. How long have you been a part of the JRS, and what is it that sparked your interest in joining?
Been a member since December when I got back from Disney. Went down for a vacation and was there for the taping of the Christmas parade. Seeing the members of the Florida garrison marching and then learning more about what the 501st does really got me going.
3. Of all of the troops that you have done, what would you say is the one that stands out in your mind in meaning the most to you and why?
I have only done a few troops at this point, but I would say doing my first birthday party for an autistic child brought it home for me.
4. How has being a part of the 501st/JRS impacted your life?
I live for this stuff! Family is getting into this more too! Everyday I get home my youngest daughter seemed bummed that I didn’t get a package in the mail/ups/FedEx lol!
5. Outside of trooping and 501st/JRS related stuff, what do you do for a living, and what are some other interests or hobbies that you have?
I work for an office products company doing deliveries. Was doing WWII and Civil War reenacting. I’m also known as the ” Godfather” of airsoft in St. Louis, doing charity work there and event organizing.
6. Can you give us an idea as to the kind of support you get from friends and family regarding the 501st and all the great things that you have done for the JRS?
Everyone I know fully supports what I/we do after they find out its not just about dressing up and walking around. Others have gone out of there way to find and promote troops for me to the point I’m going to be busy for along time! On top of that have been able to recruit members into possibly joining in. Being a “fly boy” as one friend stated seemed cooler than being just a stormtrooper or Darth Vader.
7. And lastly, is there anything, Star Wars related or not, that people might not know about you that they might be surprised to find out?
I’m pretty much an open book once you get to know me. Everyone loves my ” sea stories” from when I served in the Navy, or when I make cheesesteak!