Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: Bill Plasse
Garrison: Bast Alpha Garrison

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Fiberglass versus other

Post by Gilamu »

Anyone have any figures on what a set of fiberglass armor weighs, versus ABS or other materials?

Thanks!

It matters not how strait the gate or what punishments bar the scroll.
I am the captain of my fate; I am the master of my soul.
Blackwatch
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: David D Campbell
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Re: Fiberglass versus other

Post by Blackwatch »

I am told that fiberglass looks great but is just not really something you want to wear all day, unless you happen to be fresh back from Iraq and are used to wearing body armor all day anyway. I used to wear that stuff back in the day and it was hot and heavy THEN and that was 20 years ago. Most people are using ABS.
Also fiberglass cracks over time and dropping it can take a pretty good chunk out of it.

HTH
Dewka

Velker Actual

Regimental Sergeant Major, 6th Regiment, Tannerman Rifles, Royal Manticoran Marine Corps
Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet
Aliens Legacy Colonial Marine ID A09/TQ0.0.52128E1

Rule the sky, Rule the night
Gilamu
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Gilamu »

I have a Rubies helmet, so the weight would be on my shoulders and torso versus on my head, so I figure that helps :)

I'm also looking at cost - and right now the fiberglass seems much more affordable.

InvaderSith
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: Jason Patterson
Garrison: Midwest Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by InvaderSith »

Fiberglass cracks a lot easier than ABS.

Another pilot here used to have fiberglass armor and leapt at the chance to buy a set of ABS that I wasn't using anymore. The weight of the old armor was making it difficult for her to wear it.
"Your generic TIE grunt is just plain suicidal. And the TIE Defender jockey is bloodthirsty. But the TIE Interceptor pilot, he's suicidal and bloodthirsty. When you see a squad of those maniacs flying your way, you'd better hope your hyperdrive is operational."
-Kyle Katarn
Sparks
Name: Sindre W Aarsbog
Garrison: Nordic Garrison

Post by Sparks »

I have full fiberglass armor, all armor is fiberglass even the helmet.

The armor back and front plate weighs about 1 kilo I assume. The chestbox, which is very compact and heavy because it is filled all the way through, weighs probably also around 1 kilo. The helmet with padding maybe 1.5 kilo. So all in all just the armor would weigh about 3.5 kilos. I don't think it is very heavy, but I do feel it gnawing into my shoulders where the shoulder straps are after a while - this is mostly due to the chest box.

I have not actually weighed these, just assuming and comparing it to a 1 kilo pack of sugar.

I really love the looks of the fiberglass armor, it is so nice and shiny. But there is one very bad thing, which has been mentioned before: it cracks. When I first received my armor I almost had a nervous breakdown and felt like screaming hard HARD like this:

http://www.kims.no/eway/default.aspx?pi ... 0:21:::0:0

The reason why was that everything was cracked and chipped quite badly. It was certainly not the pristine quality I thought I would receive. The reason for this was the extensive shipping the armour had gone through, from nameless continents crossing the atlantic and the European Union until it finally arrived in my hostile land of ice and mountains.

I hid alot of the chipping beneath car-door trimming, but the buckling and subsequent cracking are impossible to do anything about. Those places where there was cracks that went through the paint and showed naked fiberglass I camouflaged with black acrylic paint and clear nailpolish. It doesn't look too bad now, and I have also heard there are people who like a little "buckling", since it looks more used and maybe "battlehardened". Well, at least that is what I have settled with so I don't sit in a corner screaming anymore 8)

All in all, I'll just say if you want fiberglass, don't be too afraid to just do it - but also remember you have more options to do modifications if you get ABS. It's a question about what you like, I like my fiberglass but I wouldn't have minded having an ABS set as well :)
LIVE TO FLY - FLY TO LIVE - DO OR DIE - ACES HIGH
Gilamu
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Gilamu »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I'd love an ABS set, but the savings on a fiberglass set probably makes it the deal-breaker. I had heard people talk about the weight, but didn't know what to expect - was it like a football uniform, for example. I figure it can't weigh more than my toddler on my shoulders during a Mardi Gras parade :)

RBJ
Detachment Officer - Retired
Detachment Officer - Retired
Name: Jay Skwarlo
Garrison: California: Southern California Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Post by RBJ »

ABS all the way...you may save a bit now ( although I cant belive it's that much cheaper..) but your back will pay!
Gilamu
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Gilamu »

I've been basing costs on the Briefing Room - I'm an imp on a budget, so it will probably be the armor one month, and the chestbox the next.

At that rate, I'm looking at saving about $100 by going fiberglass, unless something opportune pops on ebay or somewhere else. Maybe I'll check craigslist :)

Blackwatch
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: David D Campbell
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Blackwatch »

I save my pennies for around four months before I ordered my Delta Lima armor. Still saving my pennies to order my coveralls to construct my flightsuit.

Dewka

Velker Actual

Regimental Sergeant Major, 6th Regiment, Tannerman Rifles, Royal Manticoran Marine Corps
Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet
Aliens Legacy Colonial Marine ID A09/TQ0.0.52128E1

Rule the sky, Rule the night
InvaderSith
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by InvaderSith »

Gilamu wrote:I've been basing costs on the Briefing Room - I'm an imp on a budget, so it will probably be the armor one month, and the chestbox the next.

At that rate, I'm looking at saving about $100 by going fiberglass, unless something opportune pops on ebay or somewhere else. Maybe I'll check craigslist :)
Is that a total savings? The armour alone should cost around $100. If you can save up to get the kit, I'd go that route. Get the whole kit at once. Take the money you have saved and chuck it into your paypal account so you won't touch it for anything else. Toss the chestbox portion the next month. Helmet on the last month.

Then buy the whole kit, which should save you cash when compared to buying it piecemeal.
"Your generic TIE grunt is just plain suicidal. And the TIE Defender jockey is bloodthirsty. But the TIE Interceptor pilot, he's suicidal and bloodthirsty. When you see a squad of those maniacs flying your way, you'd better hope your hyperdrive is operational."
-Kyle Katarn
Gilamu
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Gilamu »

I already have a helmet, so going Delta Lima doesn't quite help

Juliet Mike is ABS (Alpha Bravo Sierra? :) ) and is $275 for armor and box

Mike Charlie is fiberglass and is $200 for the set.

If someone wants to send me a pm regarding other sets, please feel free to do so.

InvaderSith
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by InvaderSith »

Delta Lima sells the kit without the helmet. I'd send a message asking for a price quote. $275 sounds a bit high.
-Kyle Katarn
Gilamu
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Gilamu »

I've sent a message, so am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks to all for their help in this thread.

Sparks
Name: Sindre W Aarsbog
Garrison: Nordic Garrison

Post by Sparks »

I had the impression fibreglass is more expensive than ABS. But maybe that's because my helmet is fibreglass.
LIVE TO FLY - FLY TO LIVE - DO OR DIE - ACES HIGH
Gilamu
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Gilamu »

From what I've seen, the fiberglass helmet is more expensive than the ABS. I know nothing of the crafting process but am guessing it's more labor intensive.