JRS Pilot
JRS Pilot
Name: Mark McAuliffe
Garrison: Desert Scorpion Garrison

Costume Level Award

ROTJ Octagons

Post by Kade »

Hi all

I'm currently putting together an ROTJ pilot and have a question about the octagons for the shoulder straps. The ANH crl say that the octagons are attached with chicago screws but the ROTJ crl just says:

"Should consist of the front and back armor as shown, with two shoulder straps anchored by an octagon of plastic on each end."

Both crl's use the same picture so that's no help.

I have a kit from Arakyel/Sandprop and am wondering if I will need to change the octagons. If I was doing an ANH Pilot I would but as I'm doing the ROTJ version I am unsure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Momma Kitty
Member - Black Widow and Forum Supporter 2022
Member - Black Widow and Forum Supporter 2022
Name: Katie Courtney
Garrison: Star Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Re: ROTJ Octagons

Post by Momma Kitty »

Kade wrote:Hi all

I'm currently putting together an ROTJ pilot and have a question about the octagons for the shoulder straps. The ANH crl say that the octagons are attached with chicago screws but the ROTJ crl just says:

"Should consist of the front and back armor as shown, with two shoulder straps anchored by an octagon of plastic on each end."

Both crl's use the same picture so that's no help.

I have a kit from Arakyel/Sandprop and am wondering if I will need to change the octagons. If I was doing an ANH Pilot I would but as I'm doing the ROTJ version I am unsure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
I do not have my armor yet, I wish I could help you! Have you tried on Facebook?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Volksjager
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: Jason Brash

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Volksjager »

For my ANH set from Arakyel I replaced the octagons as you mentioned and I prefer this look over the ones supplied. I would have assumed the ROTJ shoulders would have been the same as ANH but if you get away with using the one supplied it's certainly less work.
Kade
JRS Pilot
JRS Pilot

Costume Level Award

Post by Kade »

My GML wasn't sure on the question and sent it further up the line to clarify.

This was the information returned in case anyone else was wondering:

"The ROTJ octagons should be flat with no visible attachment method."
Kitty
Detachment Leader
Detachment Leader
Name: Paul Wulfrun
Garrison: Knightfall Garrison
Australia

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Kitty »

Kade wrote:My GML wasn't sure on the question and sent it further up the line to clarify.

This is correct. Unlike ANH where you can have the chicago screw go through the octagon, the ROTJ kit cannot use this type of anchoring method, therefore if there are holes in your octagons from Sandprops you will require a new set (easiest way would be to buy some black ABS strips, use Sandprops one to make a template and cut out a new set...maybe also help out some pilots in your local area) and attach them using velcro.
TristanUK
Detachment Webmaster
Detachment Webmaster
Name: Tristan Fulcher
Garrison: United Kingdom Garrison
England

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Forum Supporter

Post by TristanUK »

Kitty wrote:
Kade wrote:My GML wasn't sure on the question and sent it further up the line to clarify.

This is correct. Unlike ANH where you can have the chicago screw go through the octagon, the ROTJ kit cannot use this type of anchoring method, therefore if there are holes in your octagons from Sandprops you will require a new set (easiest way would be to buy some black ABS strips, use Sandprops one to make a template and cut out a new set...maybe also help out some pilots in your local area) and attach them using velcro.
Interesting you say that. I was under the impression they were identical to the ANH version. The CRL photo doesn't show Chicago screws, but the armour photo does. Very interesting indeed....!

-Tristan
Kade
JRS Pilot
JRS Pilot

Costume Level Award

Post by Kade »

Yeah, the armour photo is the same one that was is in the ANH CRL and with the ANH CRL specifying the chicago screws but the RotJ CRL not mentioning them I thought it best to clarify with my GML before putting anything together.
geordietrooper
Cadet
Cadet
Name: Rob

Post by geordietrooper »

i was under the impression the tie pilots we see in rotj were from unused anh footage ? if that's true why would the octagons be different :?: :?
Rob
Kitty
Detachment Leader
Detachment Leader
Australia

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Kitty »

geordietrooper wrote:i was under the impression the tie pilots we see in rotj were from unused anh footage ? if that's true why would the octagons be different :?: :?
If that was the case they wouldn't have different chestbox and facial markings to the ones we see in ANH ;)
Though I'm sure there is a possibility that some ANH footage was used at some point.
Colin1138
Ace - Double
Ace - Double
Name: Colin McCutcheon
Garrison: Causeway Garrison

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Colin1138 »

They dont have different facial markings.'Widow tears, 'Tubes' and 'Mohawk' are the 3 paint schemes and they appear in both ANH and ROTJ. As far as I know..all the cockpit shots are reused footage..and the scene of them running through the corridor before DS2 blows was cut from ANH. Only the Emperors Arrival has "new" pilots.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
geordietrooper
Cadet
Cadet
Name: Rob

Post by geordietrooper »

to add to what colin has said the 3rd hose box was made at the time of ANH also,
so ANH footage in ROTJ would say the same octagons are still present

does any picture proof exist of the different ROTJ octagons :?:

may be better to debate this in a new thread :idea:
Rob
Kitty
Detachment Leader
Detachment Leader
Australia

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Kitty »

I'm going off of the CRL which pictures an ANH with chicago screws and an ROTJ without. The pilots in my Garrison also follow this principal and are approved as such. But the best way to solve this is to talk with your Garrison GML. After all it will be his decision that decides whether it is suitable or not for approval :)
Kitty
Detachment Leader
Detachment Leader
Australia

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Kitty »

That being said it got me intrigued enough to go through ROTJ and watch it now, these are shots from my TV (so excuse the quality) but they definitely show a capper on the top of the octagon. So no idea where the "plain octagon" came from.

Image clearly shows a plastic cap on the octagon, more prominent than a chicago screw but could easily hide one beneath.

The rear one seem to want to point up more than what a chicago screw would do so perhaps not, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's an entirely valid form of connecting :)

I don't mind to be stood corrected if I learn from it ^_^
Colin1138
Ace - Double
Ace - Double
Name: Colin McCutcheon
Garrison: Causeway Garrison

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Colin1138 »

That footage was originally shot for ANH..hence the screw cap cover doohickey thingies on the octogons.

The only true place you will see a "ROTJ" variant pilot is during Palpy's arrival on the DS2.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
TristanUK
Detachment Webmaster
Detachment Webmaster
Name: Tristan Fulcher
England

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Forum Supporter

Post by TristanUK »

If a TIE pilot is seen on screen in ROTJ then surely it's classed as a ROTJ pilot, irrespective of whether it was filmed for ANH or not.

This domed-cap or no-domed-cap is an interesting one indeed. Time for me to review both films again this weekend.... (like I need an excuse! ;-) )

-Tristan