hossy
JRS Pilot
JRS Pilot
Name: Dwayne Cartwright
Garrison: Southern Cross Garrison

Costume Level Award

Chicago screws

Post by hossy »

Hi, it's been suggested that I use Chicago screws to connect my shoulder straps to the chest and back plates, just wondering if there is a certain size I should be using?

Cheers
Hossy
sharkbait
Member - Black Widow
Member - Black Widow
Name: Rebecca
Garrison: California: Central California Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Re: Chicago screws

Post by sharkbait »

I believe they can be sourced at local indie hardware stores and Tandy Leather.

I'm not positive of the head size, but definitely get a decent post length- you'll be going through the octagon, the shoulder bridge, and the armor. Best if you can measure the full width in the position it will be assembled in, and make sure the screw post is long enough to cover that and not be too long.

They might even be a standard size head, but not positive on that one (I don't see a lot of variation when I google it).
Rebecca
TK-DZ-TI-IC-ID-IG-TX-IN-29118
Imperial Officer Corps Detachment Deployment Officer
"Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why." - Hunter S. Thompson
Jediwannabe
Cadet
Cadet
Name: Chris Palladino

Post by Jediwannabe »

I've been looking into the Chicago screws and comparing to the Anovos kit that I have. The screws Anovos provide with the kit are 1/4" with a 3/4" post. From what I can see online 3/16" is a standard size for the Chicago screw, which is close enough in girth. Home Depot sells this one online that seems like it might be good. I'm going to order a pack. I'm using it with rubber shoulder straps and fiberglass armor, so it will be a bit thicker, but I think the post should provide enough range due to the telescoping ability. We'll see!

3/16 in. x 3/4 in. Aluminum Slotted Drive Truss Head Binding Posts and Screws (25-Pack) for $3.56 plus shipping.
Jediwannabe
Cadet
Cadet
Name: Chris Palladino

Post by Jediwannabe »

Home Depot was out of stock so I ended up getting this one on Amazon. I remember someone saying the size needed was used for book binding so fingers crossed!

60 Sets Silvery Chicago Screws 3/4 Inches Screw Posts Metal Accessories Nail Rivet Chicago Button For DIY Leather Decoration Document Book Album Bookbinding Round Flat Head Stud Screw