Discussions about the TIE fighter pilot armor
samisu
Cadet
Cadet
Name: Private

Too Short to Be A TIE Pilot?

Post by samisu »

Hello everyone!

First post here, I've been lurking for a little bit and doing some research, but I'm hoping to get some additional guidance. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but I hope so.

I'm a petite female of 5'3, and after doing lots of research and asking for advice on the Pathfinders forum, I had to nix any hopes of being a Scout trooper due to my small size. Even though the armor is already small, it's still too large for me and would require a lot of altering and know-how to get it to fit properly.

So I'm turning to a TIE pilot in hopes I can at least pull that off. Does the TIE Pilot chest armor have similar problems for short and petite people? Being too long, or too wide? Is there a specific armor vendor that is better suited for someone my size? Would it still require lots of altering? (This applies to helmets, as well!)

Any help, input, suggestions, etc for a shortie would be super appreciated! Hopefully I'm not also too short to be a TIE pilot. :cry:
Lupus1202
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: Wolfgang
Garrison: German Garrison
Germany

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Re: Too Short to Be A TIE Pilot?

Post by Lupus1202 »

Hello Samisu,
are you familiar with the JRS Social Group on FB? I think it´s a good choice to register there and if i am right, i think Walter Vongher can help you with it.

Regards
Wolfgang
Blackwatch
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: David D Campbell
Garrison: Bast Alpha Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Blackwatch »

Armor is a choice, and you can be approved as a Reserve Pilot without the armor, as long as the flightsuit fits. We have several Black Widows who are shorter in stature, and troop just as much as other Pilots.
We have an approved Scout in my Garrison that is under five feet, and she has Pilot gear as well.
Talk to your GML about having printed armor made, since it could be scaled to fit.

Velker Actual

Regimental Sergeant Major, 6th Regiment, Tannerman Rifles, Royal Manticoran Marine Corps
Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet
Aliens Legacy Colonial Marine ID A09/TQ0.0.52128E1

Rule the sky, Rule the night
samisu
Cadet
Cadet

Post by samisu »

Lupus1202 wrote:
2022-11-08 00:17:51
Hello Samisu,
are you familiar with the JRS Social Group on FB? I think it´s a good choice to register there and if i am right, i think Walter Vongher can help you with it.

Regards
Wolfgang
I don't have FB, but if it's open to the public I'll give it a look. Thanks!
samisu
Cadet
Cadet

Post by samisu »

Blackwatch wrote:
2022-11-08 13:30:35
Armor is a choice, and you can be approved as a Reserve Pilot without the armor, as long as the flightsuit fits. We have several Black Widows who are shorter in stature, and troop just as much as other Pilots.
We have an approved Scout in my Garrison that is under five feet, and she has Pilot gear as well.
Talk to your GML about having printed armor made, since it could be scaled to fit.
Yeah but I want that armor, tho. ;D Also I'm not a member at this time, I'm in the early stages of just researching costuming, so I don't have a GML. :-\
DukeOfNachos
JRS Pilot + Forum Supporter 2022
JRS Pilot + Forum Supporter 2022
Name: Kevin
Garrison: California: Southern California Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by DukeOfNachos »

Even though you're not a member yet, feel free to reach out to your future-garrisons GML, they tend to assist, as well as your garrisons mentors for JRS.
Kevin “Nachos” Young
TI-39121
Southern California Garrison (IE/OC Squad)
RBJ
Detachment Officer - Retired
Detachment Officer - Retired
Name: Jay Skwarlo
Garrison: California: Southern California Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Post by RBJ »

For the Vaders wingman scene in ANH they cast short women for the Ties to make Vader look taller…so it’s you’re screen accurate!

You should be able to pull it off no problem. MonCal armor will probably be to big for you..other than that they are all comparable size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
samisu
Cadet
Cadet

Post by samisu »

RBJ wrote:
2022-11-08 23:05:22
For the Vaders wingman scene in ANH they cast short women for the Ties to make Vader look taller…so it’s you’re screen accurate! Image

You should be able to pull it off no problem. MonCal armor will probably be to big for you..other than that they are all comparable size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had no idea about the ANH pilots! Haha that makes me feel better. :mrgreen: There is hope!

Good to know about the MonCal armor... The folks over on Pathfinders detachment did say that MonCal is the smallest of Scout armor, but someone also 5'3" said it was still too big on her even, so I guess that sounds about right. Not sure where that leaves me, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!
Blackwatch
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: David D Campbell
Garrison: Bast Alpha Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Blackwatch »

Also, there is a case to be made for 181st Pilots who do not wear traditional armor, they have a grey flak vest and a chestbox over that. In your research you may find it may be more suitable for you? It would be something to consider.

Velker Actual

Regimental Sergeant Major, 6th Regiment, Tannerman Rifles, Royal Manticoran Marine Corps
Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet
Aliens Legacy Colonial Marine ID A09/TQ0.0.52128E1

Rule the sky, Rule the night
samisu
Cadet
Cadet

Post by samisu »

Blackwatch wrote:
2022-11-10 07:43:41
Also, there is a case to be made for 181st Pilots who do not wear traditional armor, they have a grey flak vest and a chestbox over that. In your research you may find it may be more suitable for you? It would be something to consider.
Oh yeah, I have seen that kit in my research! That's a good idea as a backup. They look pretty cool, too. I'll keep it in mind and look into it. Thank you! :)
urusaiwrangler
JRS Pilot
JRS Pilot
Name: Chris
Garrison: Ohio Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Post by urusaiwrangler »

I'm not quite 5'7" and the LAWS II kit fits great - bit on the pricey side, tho