JRS Pilot
JRS Pilot
Name: Benjamin Dolard
Garrison: French Garrison

Costume Level Award

Re: FAC Armor build

Post by moonwalker »

6 months ? Ouch :shock:

The problem is that they said 6/8 weeks. When I pay in advance I really don't like this kind of delays...
Plus, they have a great communication when you want to order something, but since you pay you do'nt get any update. Oh yeah, an email with "We apologise we can't reply now we're busy". Come on, what the hell, it takes 20 seconds to write an email with "your armor is not started yet" or "your armor is nearly finished".
Thanks for the support by the way :wink: And i've received some PMs of troopers in the same situation too...
TI-4337
SamJ
Cadet
Cadet
Name: Sam Janes
Garrison: United Kingdom Garrison

Post by SamJ »

I know what you mean by the waiting times. It is really frustrating when you just want to get everything. Though in this case at least you know they'll come through for you in the end and you'll end up with a quality product.

And yes, I agree, more transparency with lead times (not just from FAC) would be beneficial not only for easing the worries of those waiting but also for getting more people in to this great detachment.
Growing older, not growing up
teach42
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: Steve Dembo
Garrison: Midwest Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by teach42 »

Welps, that locks it in for me. I was thinking about placing an order, but this thread just put me over the top.

A little bummed about the wait time, but my goal is to be ready by Celebration VI, so if I order now I should have no worries.

@Tech Nomad and @PTBenz, where did you get your cases from? Want to make sure that I take good care of it once it arrives!
Targ
Omega Squadron
Name: James DeJan

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Targ »

CADETS, it seems this is as good a time as ever to remind your class of what it takes to create our armor. The 3 to 5 artisans that provide us with the Hard Parts, do so as a non-licensed industry. They do it as a hobby, on their own time and for the most part, have real jobs and lives to lead.
The number of people they are serving combined would blow your mind. Keep in mind, if you had the talent and time to do this, you'd have a better appreciation for what they do.
So here is a reminder of the Required reading and viewing you were supposed to complete.
http://www.jrs501st.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ing#p29278
Just because you had the funds to order your costume parts, doesn't mean you've earned your wings.
ImageImage
Having served the Empire as Jolly Roger Squadron Detachment Leader 2005-2013
SamJ
Cadet
Cadet

Post by SamJ »

teach42 wrote:Welps, that locks it in for me. I was thinking about placing an order, but this thread just put me over the top.
Don't worry so much. This thread just states that you may have more of a wait than you are originally quoted but to be honest this can occur with anyone for anything. For instance, at work my department last year had 8 people, now there's 5 of us so there is no way we can complete everything to the same standard in the same amount of time. Instead we take longer but work to an even higher standard as standing still just isn't good enough.

I don't believe it is harsh to mention how long people have waited for our vendors to deliver as it lets us all know what we're getting in to. At the same time my rule of thumb is don't order something you can't wait 6 months for as real life must come first for everyone. If we can all understand those last two sentences then we can create a situation that is fair on both the vendors and the consumers too.

Now I would be worried if there were threads saying the quality was poor but there aren't. We all have our preferences but if they're in the Base Exchange you will get your stuff and it will be well made. In the past other situations have occured which have delayed some of these vendors for a long time but they came through and they will again. The fact we're number 5 on the 501st list is testament to this. I understand your apprehension and frustration but good things come to those who wait.

Kram, I apologise for pooping on your thread. Nice armour by the way. :wink:
teach42
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: Steve Dembo
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by teach42 »

Targ wrote:So here is a reminder of the Required reading and viewing you were supposed to complete.
Just because you had the funds to order your costume parts, doesn't mean you've earned your wings.
Hey Targ, that link keeps pulling up as unauthorized for me. Is there another way to get to that info? I'm doing a clone build for my 4.5 year old right now, and didn't want to get in over my head. So I'm trying to keep my own first 501st entry as simple as possible.
Don't worry so much. This thread just states that you may have more of a wait than you are originally quoted but to be honest this can occur with anyone for anything.
LoL, what I meant was that I had been on the fence about whether to spend nearly $600 on this project right out of the gate. But seeing the comments from the people who already have the armor have put me 'over the top'. Definitely putting in my order with FAC. I'm getting a final quote with shipping from them now. If it takes 6 months, I'm fine with it! So long as I have it by Celebration VI I'll be a happy guy.
SamJ
Cadet
Cadet

Post by SamJ »

Lol, ok... I was a bit confused with why you were asking for details of the bins when you were put off. Oh well, the written word strikes again. :) And yeah, we're way easier than clones. The reason why you can't see that thread is because it's in the Ace of Aces section which is 501st only but I'm sure someone will move it soon.
Blackwatch
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: David D Campbell
Garrison: Bast Alpha Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Blackwatch »

regarding wait times, we have long advised to get the Reserve Pilot up and running first and troop in that while waiting for the amor to arrive.

Velker Actual

Regimental Sergeant Major, 6th Regiment, Tannerman Rifles, Royal Manticoran Marine Corps
Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet
Aliens Legacy Colonial Marine ID A09/TQ0.0.52128E1

Rule the sky, Rule the night
Targ
Omega Squadron
Name: James DeJan

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Targ »

teach42 wrote:
Targ wrote:So here is a reminder of the Required reading and viewing you were supposed to complete.

Hey Targ, that link keeps pulling up as unauthorized for me. Is there another way to get to that info? I'm doing a clone build for my 4.5 year old right now, and didn't want to get in over my head. So I'm trying to keep my own first 501st entry as simple as possible.

I have reposted it as a GLOBAL so it appears at the top of every page that is open. The original was mistakenly posted in a 501st members only thread which kept the Cadets from reading it. REAL HELPFUL that is. Hopefully its where the Cadets can see it now.
ImageImage
Having served the Empire as Jolly Roger Squadron Detachment Leader 2005-2013
Tech'Nomad
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: Jacob Allmer
Garrison: Mountain Garrison

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Tech'Nomad »

teach42 wrote: @Tech Nomad and @PTBenz, where did you get your cases from? Want to make sure that I take good care of it once it arrives!

I picked up my case from Home Depot. It was listed as meeting all the airline shipping requirements (I think).. It is a Plano Sport Locker Model 1819-00. Then I used foam glue to attach a bed liner from Wal-Mart to the inside.

TI-4519 field report: It sure is dark out here.

|-O-| (<O>) |-O-| Stay in attack formation.

I intend to live forever, or die trying. - Groucho Marx
Kram
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: Mark Steeby
Garrison: Great Lakes Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Kram »

Well, it's been awhile but I have made a lot of progress since my last post. I have the full costume assembled and only need to make some minor adjustments. Below are some pictures. In know it is not the best lighting but I wanted to get some shots in before nightfall and before the bad weather this week.

Image Image
Image Image
TIE Pilot :bomber :TI :bomber
Helmet- Check
Armor- Check
Chest Box - Check
Flight Suit-Check
Belt- Check
Gloves- Check
Boots- Check
AngryEwok
Member - 1st Air Cavalry
Member - 1st Air Cavalry
Name: Bradley Smith
Garrison: Alabama Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by AngryEwok »

Looking good! One suggestion I can make is to add a velcro connection for the belt to keep it in place and prevent it from slipping/shifting. This is actually a modification that I've been meaning to make, as well.