Discussions about the TIE fighter pilot armor
TK87Cassidy
Cadet
Cadet
Name: Stephanie Cassidy
Garrison: United Kingdom Garrison

Re: DL MIA?

Post by TK87Cassidy »

I don't wish to seem too critical, especially for a cadet (!) but I would definitely think twice, if not more, in regards to ordering from DL - even though I think that his work is exceptional. I feel very strongly that a builder should not accept any payment or incoming orders from prospective buyers if he or she is already behind schedule or snowed under with requests: it is unfair, not only to the buyer but also to the builder in question. Whilst one may excuse DL's current predicament by suggesting that he (and others) are building for a global audience, such a situation - as described in this thread - would never have arisen had the builder realistically appraised his ability to complete projects within a reasonable timeframe.

If I had the skills I would love to help out but I'm simply not capable, so I think it's great that there are few new armourers emerging to help share the 'work load'. Prior to ordering my hard armour, I considered a number of builders - DL included - but I ultimately decided to try and find a UK based builder, and was fortunate to get into contact with DA in England. DA was extremely quick in replying to all of my emails, he gave me a very honest assessment of the time involved and within two weeks I received my helmet, and it took just under twenty four hours to receive my chest and back armour. The service and craftmanship was incredible.

Although I can appreciate that DL's work is in high demand and that some costumers may have unrealistic expectations, I think that there is a limit to how long one should have to wait for payed goods. I don't really think that it's reasonable for anyone to expect a paying costumer to wait up to two years for work, so I have immense sympathy for anyone caught up in such an unfortunate situation - particularly given today's economic climate. I am entirely convinced that DL is a decent and honest guy - obviously a talented builder - but I think he should, in the future, defer some work until he is able to complete within a reasonable timeframe. Again, I don't intend to offend anyone, I'm just offering my thoughts.
Items Purchased:

Tie Fighter Helmet and Armour (DA)
Tie Fighter Reserve Pilot Cap (SJ)
Illuminated Chestbox (BT)
Imperial Officers Belt (VD)
Imperial Gauntlets (SA)
Illuminated Communications Pad (Targ)
Military Jackboots (EM)
E-11 Blaster (DC)
E-11 Holster (SB)
Turrican
JRS Pilot
JRS Pilot
Name: Stefan
Garrison: German Garrison

Costume Level Award

Post by Turrican »

You are correct in all points you mention.
Blackwatch
Ace of Aces
Ace of Aces
Name: David D Campbell
Garrison: Bast Alpha Garrison
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Blackwatch »

i may have stated this already, but if not I will state it now:

DL is not part of the JRS Mentor Team vendor list which I created and maintain. While Members can see the listing in the Base Exchange, the list that I provided to the Mentor Corps does not have DL's information, and to my knowledge Cadets coming in under the Mentor Program have not been provided DL' s information. DL does not sell to just TIE pilots, his wares are available for many armored and helmeted Imperial uniforms.

Velker Actual

Regimental Sergeant Major, 6th Regiment, Tannerman Rifles, Royal Manticoran Marine Corps
Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet
Aliens Legacy Colonial Marine ID A09/TQ0.0.52128E1

Rule the sky, Rule the night
Sheriff
Detachment Officer - Retired
Detachment Officer - Retired
Name: Jason Wood
Garrison: Knightfall Garrison

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Sheriff »

And to follow up on that, DL hasn't been removed because of his product, but due to the production delay. Hopefully, if we don't send people to DL, he can catch up and we can start to recommend him again.
ptbenz
Name: adam petersen
Garrison: Midwest Garrison

Post by ptbenz »

I want to give everyone some prospective on this. Do NOT take this as promoting his business practices or excusing your frustrations.

DL has a real job, just like you and me. He does this in spare time. He is an artist, not a business person. If you can go into an order with him understanding the wait and the lack of communication, you will end up with one of the best quality products (I wear DL myself)

When I last spoke with him, he had 37 or so orders to complete, that's going to take awhile. He has a hard time turning down someone who wants to order, not because he wants the money, but he wants the member to have good quality gear.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
JRS DL
Turrican
JRS Pilot
JRS Pilot

Costume Level Award

Post by Turrican »

ptbenz wrote:I want to give everyone some prospective on this. Do NOT take this as promoting his business practices or excusing your frustrations.

DL has a real job, just like you and me. He does this in spare time. He is an artist, not a business person. If you can go into an order with him understanding the wait and the lack of communication, you will end up with one of the best quality products (I wear DL myself)

When I last spoke with him, he had 37 or so orders to complete, that's going to take awhile. He has a hard time turning down someone who wants to order, not because he wants the money, but he wants the member to have good quality gear.

100% correct.
But :
If you have a real job and limited time( as 99,9 % i would guess), where is the problem to just take as much orders you can handle?That's the point.
Firebat
Ace - Baron
Ace - Baron
Name: Scott Holder
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Firebat »

ptbenz and I spoke about this during Joliet troop. As pt said dl hates turning away people cause he wants people to have great gear. A close friend of mine is a year into waiting for her TIE from DL. I recommended her to him cause I know he has a great product. So she has been doing the reserve pilot and is also working on a different costume as well. She is tired of waiting, but knows the game. She feels it will get to her when it gets to her.

I do understand the frustration. In this day and age we expect to get something the second we click the buy button. I do think maybe he needs to work on the reply time to people. At least getting a response and being told its gonna take a long time is better than wondering "hmmm where did my money go." And as pt said giving people a more realistic time frame for delivery. Then if he says hey its gonna take over a year, then people understand and quit clogging his email lines with when am I getting my items. Blackwatch is right you will get your stuff. Just gonna take a while.
geordietrooper
Cadet
Cadet
Name: Rob
Garrison: United Kingdom Garrison

Post by geordietrooper »

i don't care how good his stuff is, he should not take on more orders when he is so far behind its bad business
dl hates turning away people cause he wants people to have great gear
that's funny & a stupid statement from dl :roll:

if you're prepared to wait over a year for your goods with bad communication thrown in then fill your boots
Rob
Necrodiety
501st
501st
Name: Corey Thomas
Garrison: Florida Garrison

Post by Necrodiety »

I saw Targ just got his TIE bucket.... from his order placed 2 years ago. I'm sure it's great work, but 2 years is such a long time to wait for new people wanting to get their pilot flying. That's one of the reasons I went with a different vendor. I will be taking pics for my TI submit as soon as the weather looks nice.
ptbenz
Name: adam petersen

Post by ptbenz »

The real problem here is lack of competition. We need more makers to meet the demands. We have a new vendor we are adding on the next vendor list update, one with great customer service and does runs of kits. We are also still awaiting ATA to give us the go for orders once his molds are set.

JRS DL
Turrican
JRS Pilot
JRS Pilot

Costume Level Award

Post by Turrican »

geordietrooper wrote:i don't care how good his stuff is, he should not take on more orders when he is so far behind its bad business
dl hates turning away people cause he wants people to have great gear
that's funny & a stupid statement from dl :roll:

if you're prepared to wait over a year for your goods with bad communication thrown in then fill your boots
sign
Tank
JRS Pilot
JRS Pilot
Name: Isaac Irvine
Garrison: Dune Sea Garrison

Costume Level Award

Post by Tank »

If his gear was bad or even average then I wouldn't have such an emotional feeling about it. I think, because I want his stuff so bad, I'm angry about his wait time. To wait over a year is laughable.

That being said, Im happy with my DA helmet... cant wait to see his chestbox.

I think PT nailed it when he said we need more vendors. Once someone can step up and make a kit with the same quality that DL does, his orders will drop. Until then, those of us who cant sculpt... complain. Myself included.
TheIsaac - Phoenix Arizona TK/TI 9492
Firebat
Ace - Baron
Ace - Baron
Name: Scott Holder
United States of America

Costume Level Award

Ace of Aces

Post by Firebat »

Ok I spoke to others and we feel this thread has gone its course. Bottom line Dl takes a long time to get good products out. If you don't want the wait then I recommend another vendor. Not many to choose from. If you have the means, funds and time to produce molds of your own and want to take on the project of making armor, by all means let us know how we can help.

For new people please work with your mentors and see what options there is.

This thread is now locked.